At the beginning of the year we got a hamster, Oreo. When I talked to the lady selling him she said he was about a year old. When we picked him up the girl said that she had Oreo for about 2 1/2 years and just didn't have time for him anymore. A hamster's life span is only 1 1/2 to 3 years, so even though we knew he was an old guy we took him home. He soon became Megan's. Meg was so proud to have her own pet and took really good care of him.
We joked that we were his retirement home. We talked about how much he has aged and that he wasn't grooming himself any more. We talked about the fact that he lost a lot of weight. And we talked about how he was going to die soon. I hoped that talking about all of this would make it easier for Megan when he did die. I don't know if it helped her or not, but today was the day he passed away, and it has been hard on Megan. Poor Megan!! Now the question...to get a new one or not to...I think we will, soon.
1 comment:
So sorry about Oreo! That's so hard on kids. Your girls looked so cute on their first day of school! Getting too big!
Post a Comment