Wednesday, October 22, 2008

"The Talk"

When I was in junior high and high school I coached a baseball team. Most of the time it was 8 to 10 year old boys. The first year I was in eighth grade and all of the boys became like my little brothers. Of course I became closer to some then others. One Saturday I had a big party for the whole team at my parents house. Everything was going great and we were all having a blast...until I overheard a group of them talking about sex! I wasn't really sure what I should do, so I just eavesdropped. I remember laughing about some of their explanations about what sex was and how you "did it". None of them really coming close to the truth, aside from them knowing it was between a male and female. One boy, Jason, didn't know anything and wasn't sure what the other boys were saying was true or not...so he asked me!!
(I of course was such an expert!) I told him he should talk to his parents about it and he said "NEVER". I didn't want him to believe what the other boys were saying so I decided to go ahead and have "the talk" with him. I whipped out the exact books my dad used to teach my sister and I (trapped in the car on a 350 mile road trip!)and we read them and talked about it all. I must admit I did a pretty good job. I told him that you should wait until marriage and that it is special and all that. I was feeling pretty good about myself...then I thought...His parents are going to kill me!! When his mom arrived to pick him up I took some time and told her about mine and Jason's talk. I expected to be yelled at and she surprised me by thanking me!! Through the years Jason's family and mine have become very close. They are more like family then friends.

Well now I have children the same age Jason was and it is time for "the talk". And I am terrified to give it!! I think Jason's parents should come rescue me!! Don't you think?? I may just whip out the good ol books my dad used, only they don't seem as great when it comes to MY kids...wish us luck...

6 comments:

Brianna said...

I remember my parents had us read "love, sex and growing up". It talks about what changes the body goes through, so as a girl I knew what to expect when i had my monthly visitor. At my young age of 10-12ish it was really informative, and less embarrassing than talking to parents. Good luck!

Jeremy & Jennifer said...

No one ever gave me "the talk", and I guess I can see why. I'm definitely delegating this parental task to Jeremy. I think he'll probably say something like, "When a mom and a dad love each other very much..."

Anonymous said...

I probably shouldn't say anything. Nedless to say, I'm going to. I never really had 'the talk' with mom or dad. It all just kinda spilled out at school. Maturation. Stuff like that, until one day, I made a VERY big mistake and I had mom explain the whole thing to me. Just remember to tell them not NO, it's just WAIT. My y.w. teacher told us that if parents say NO then it just makes them want to more, just tell them WAIT!

Alysha

Lenae said...

Good luck. I'm so glad that I have a few more years before I have to worry about that yet!

The Food Lady said...

just remember to keep it simple. at this age they really just need to know anatomy. ha. or the medical process...they wont understand the emotions of it. Samantha really just wanted to know what tampons were...and she was fine...i started small with the hair issue, and the period issue and how the baby gets in there...let her ask some questions and then let it go for another year or so.....my guess is that you want to have your family morals and guidelines firmly in place by the time they hit the 8th grade......cause 8th grade can be brutal. good luck!

Keolani said...

I never had THE talk with my kids. For better or worse I talked about all kinds of things as they came up on an age appropriate level. The only time I ever remember being embarrassed was when one of them asked me how you "accidentally" have sex. "Accidentally?!" I asked. "We'll yea, I hear about people accidentally getting pregnant. Why would you do such a thing if you don't want to get pregnant?" Try explaining that one to an 8 year old. Good luck.