The girls and I went swimming at the city pool last night. I had a flash back of my childhood...three girls playing and swimming together having fun. Two of them brave and excited to try the high dive and one not so sure about it. From the ground looking up - it really isn't that high. She thinks, I can do it! Then up the ladder she goes, going higher and higher the altitude changes and shes still going up. Then she finally reaches the top. She steps out unto the board and looks down...not a good idea. Her throat lumps up and she wants to cry. The other two, down below cheering for her. She slowly inches to the edge. The water seems miles down there, surely far enough to kill or mame her. She quickly backs up and heads back down the ladder never wanting to do that again and feeling like a looser. You can guess which one of the three I was! Please say I am not the only one with this memory! The big difference from my childhood and last night was that when the scared one got down the other two said stuff like; good job; at least you tried; maybe next time. I got razzed. (poor me with the mean older sister)
I was really proud of Hanna and Abbey! Not just for being brave enough to LOVE the high dive but for supporting their cousin who was quite ready. Just so you know, I am still not ready!!
No comments:
Post a Comment