Friday, June 27, 2008

Celiac Disease

Well in the last couple of weeks Brian has found out that he has Celiac Disease. It is a digestive disease that damages the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients from food. People who have CD cannot tolerate a protein called gluten, found in wheat, rye, and barley. (every thing yummy!) Gluten is found mainly in foods but may also be found in products such as stamp and envelope adhesive, medicines, and vitamins. It is going to take Bri about 3 weeks to get all the built up gluten out of him. After that if he slips and eats it he will be in sever pain. The really crappy thing is that gluten is seriously every thing! It is a major diet change. It really sucks! Luckily we know a few people who have CD and they are helping a ton. So when you are saying your prayers could you add Brian in, this is hard on him to be both diabetic and now have Celiac Disease. Thank you!!

2 comments:

Jeremy & Jennifer said...

Hugs to Brian. One of my friends has Type 1 diabetes and also CD. I could ask her for some suggestions of things to eat- she's got great meal ideas and is a wonderful cook. I know it is challenging for her so I want to offer my sympathy. This will be a great way to eat healthier, which we could all use! I also think that once you develop a system it will get much easier. Good luck, we're praying for you!

Palmer Family said...

I was so happy to see a comment from your family.
I am sorry Brian has to go through more now. I remember very well all those shots he took in his tummy and now this. I truely feel for you and your family.
Your vacation looked so wonderful and even gave me memories when growing up and camping with my family. I need to take MelissaSky more often. I have taken her camping but it is usually the two of us and I alway get tired of doing all the work; so needless to say we have not been this year. Just talk.