Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Dual Language School

A while back Megan's preschool teacher talked to me about putting Megan in a dual language program that they offer here. It is a program that teaches you to read and write (and speak) both English and Spanish. It is full day kindergarten. Half the day is taught in Spanish and half is English. The students are also 50/50. (there is a huge Spanish speaking population here) For Megan to get in we had to go to an orientation meeting and then Megan had to be tested. She passed the test so now her name basically goes into a pool and it is a lottery to see who gets in. They will let us know if she got in next month. If she didn't she gets put on a waiting list. I am not sure if I really want her to go there.
PROS: 1) We would all learn Spanish 2) Being bi-lingual would put us in front of others for jobs, schooling, ect. 3) Could help if any of us go on missions later in life. 4) It really would be a great tool and blessing!! 5) Megan is bright and has a great memory - this would stimulate and challenge her more.
CONS: 1)I would have to drive her to and from school. Our good friends and neighbors have their daughter in it so we would car pool. 2) She wouldn't be at the same school with Hanna and Abbey. (If she gets in Amber will automatically get in if we want her to) 3) I love Hanna and Abbey's school and know all the teachers there. 4) I don't think I could do two PTO's and being at two schools helping out. 5) Hanna and Abbey's school is only a block away. 6) We would have to commit to the whole program which is through 5th grade. 6 years!!
What do you all think?? Would you do it for your kids if you could? Do you wish you were bi-lingual?

7 comments:

Alene said...

I would do it in a heartbeat. I have always regretted not fully learning another language and as you know, as adults we have little time for those pursuits. It is easiest and best to learn young and what better opportunity can you have than that?

Brianna said...

I wish they had something like that when i was in school. I mean, they have classes in Jr High & High school, but it's limited what you learn. Aaaaand by the time you are that old, it's harder to learn and memorize.

Children in elementary school are more impressionable when it comes to learning, and learn quicker and easier.

I see and unerstand your cons, but I think the pros outweigh the cons (if it were my life anyway).

Jeremy & Jennifer said...

Coming from the other side, I actually got a job once because I was fairly fluent in Spanish. It has helped me repeatedly throughout my life. Our city has TWICE the national average of Spanish-speaking residents, so I have used it at the hospital lots of times too. :)

You never know what the U.S. will be like in 15 years either, especially with dear Barak Obama as president. :( It may pay to know spanish in the future.

Keolani said...

If I had known about it 3 years ago I wouldn't have even hesitated. It's always better to know something than to not know it.

Anonymous said...

You know, I guess I don't really have the right to comment on this, but I don't think that you should do it. It would compliate things with Hanna and Abbey. I think it would be hard and frusterating at times. Ask Megan what she wants.

Amy said...

I am frustrated the comment that I made didn't post. I think it is wonderful to learn another language as all the comments have been made. It is something I think WE all wished that we had done. But also like the last comment that was made you should ask Megan what her feelings are about it. She may be scared, or may not even want to do it. If she ends up hating it then you are going to hate taking her every day because you will hear it ALL the time like I did with my children taking Chinese. They are taking Spanish and like it. I know you will make the right decision.

Anonymous said...

Diffinatly do it! Not only would she benefit from it for the rest of her life... but your whole family would. Remember... the Lamanites are the chosen people, so... I think Spanish will become a necessity in the future. I am anxious to see what your decision will be. Good luck!